Monday, January 28, 2008


Shedding all habits; good and bad

The entire purpose of our existence is to overcome our negative habits.
- Rabbi Eliyahu, the Gaon of Vilna (1720-1797)

I think that getting rid of my negative habits is learning, on a daily bases which habits serve me; which of these are ego/acts ways of being, which are positive or negative and then transform them! That means looking deep into the area of that which I don't know, I don't know. Yes, even the positive habits and really question their existence for me, often, even shedding the positive habits because they may be negative without my awareness that they are so. This was a very powerful insight for me, I thought, I am “a glass is half full kind of guy”, later; I learned that this optimistic way of being helped me, but it didn't transform me. The task is to empty the metaphorical cup completely, get rid of the cup, because even in doing so I am still not completely at nothing. The more I reach for nothing; the universe fills my cup up with something new and amazing like a vacuum filling air into a space. The metaphorical cup can't be at nothing, everything must be full, even the cup that is half full of water, must be half full with air. So my way of being or act was from the past, it was superficial, it was about “looking good”, now I get to this nothingness, now I have real transformation. Now I look deep into all my habits, and transform them, just to get good at transformation, that way, when real break downs occur or lesson presents itself, I can shed everything very fast and all at once, to allow a space for the possibility of everything and anything!

No comments: